Bill Does Everest!

Last Day

Last night was eventful to say the very least. After dinner and awarding the porters/guides their $ tips, the quiet dinner hall turned into a dancing ‘rave‘ with both Nepal classics that we all learned funny hand movements too and a good selection of old disco classics that showed off the groups slick ‘moves’. 🤣. 

The ‘weak one’ now the ‘strong one’, took it upon herself to be the impromptu DJ and even got everyone to join into limbo dancing. I was quite surprised to win this at 6ft 4 inch tall against our 4ft 11inch porters but suspect there may have been some dodgey rules of engagement. Or more truthfully I am very flexible. 🤣

A few from the group headed to the Irish Bar where an international incident nearly took place over the pool table. The Springboks v the All Blacks was just a little taster for the upcoming rugby world cup. 🤣

A few sore heads in the morning as we walked towards Lukla airport. This is the most dangerous airport in the world!! Look it up🤣. Fortunately our flight was relatively smooth but there were a few sweaty palms as we went over the cliff edge into the valley below. 

We arrived at Ramechhsp Airport just after 10am. What a difference. It was like the tropics and all the group started to peel off layers as they got used to the heat again. We knew the journey to Kathmandu would take circa 5 hours with a break for lunch. 

We also knew what to expect with the road back. Zig zagging all the way and in many places no road surface existed. Most managed to catch up on some sleep and we stopped a couple of hours into the journey for some lunch which consisted of traditional Dal Bhat ( oh not again) 🤣 and local  curried delicacies. 

Tonight the group is heading for its last supper together at K2 steak house. I can honestly say, most are looking forward to some meat!! 🤣 Lets hope they have some good red wine to accompany the food.

Well this is my last blog. The trek to Everest Base Camp has been eventful, thought provoking, emotional and tested each one of us in so many different ways. The real positive for me has been we have all made it safely back to Kathmandu after achieving our main goal. Something we should all feel very proud about. I am sure many of us will keep in touch and that the achievement of reaching Everest Base Camp wont sink in for a few weeks to come. 

And if any of you reading this would like to donate to the charities I am raising funds for, please click on link below.